Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Praying in a certain place


To play the audio, just click the play button above at left.  To download, click the "On the Road" title in yellow in the box above, which will take you to a site where you can download it as an mp3 file.  If you see no image above or the audio will not play, click here for audio.  


This week's gospel reading is Luke 11:1-13.  Jesus has just left Mary and Martha's and now is praying, "in a certain place."  Where did Jesus pray?  Where do you pray?  Do you pray when you're on the road?  I, Pastor Brett, know that I often pray in the car.  Do you pray when you travel or have a special ritual for doing so?  As Pastor Bob and I write this from an airport, we've discussed how both our families have special little prayer/rituals for travel.  So it makes me curious where Jesus is praying. 

We recorded this week's podcast this morning from the campus of
Luther Seminary in St. Paul, Minnesota - we were participating in the "Rethinking Evangelism" conference at Luther.  It's been a great time we're thankful for to hear, learn, and plan.  It's also reminded us that while this scripture, where Jesus teaches his disciples to pray using the words we now call the "Lord's Prayer," we must remember that these are not familiar words to everyone, even in our dominantly Christian culture. 
Do you remember who taught you to pray? 
Did anyone teach you? 
Do you struggle feeling that you don't know how to pray?
What is prayer to you? 

These are some of the themes we're discussing and thinking about this week, and hopefully praying about too!  Leave us a comment here - let us know what questions or answers this brings up for you, or maybe what you're praying for this week.  We'll be on the road back to Virginia today - see you in worship!
 

2 comments:

  1. The verse I first think of when prayer is discussed, or how we pray, is Matthew 6:5-8 and the Lord's Prayer follows. I used to often worry about have an eloquent prayer prepared but in reality it is just me talking to God. Also, when I pray in public, such as at a meal, I often wonder if people are watching me or what they are thinking.

    When you talked about hearing everyone say the Lord's Prayer on Sundays, I thought of the different versions I hear - forgive us our sins, forgive us our tresspasses, forgive us our debts. I enjoy hearing these different versions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be in "Lutheran country" in Minneapolis, MN in September! :) Have really enjoyed this series!

    ReplyDelete